Saturday 13 July 2013

How The Smoke And Heat Ventilation System Worked For Me

I still vividly remember that day when we (my husband and I) were planning our dream home by the seaside. We had a huge argument. While my husband was insisting that we install a good (automated and high tech) smoke and heat ventilation system and I argued that we were building a home, not a factory. I argued that having these openings on the roof will only kill the effectiveness of the air-conditioning. Having lived a large portion of his life abroad, my husband was more cautious about life safety than me, and I am so glad he insisted! (I have lived in India for a large portion of my life and my safety concerns are always minimal- I confess I suffer from a fool-hardy mentality). I still find the sight of Indian construction workers in hard hats slightly ridiculous, though I know for a fact that this is a very sensible precaution that must be enforced more! That ventilation system not only saved my home but also the lives of my two much loved dogs.


It so happened that we were away on holiday one weekend and my maid who came in to clean dusted the cooking range rather vigorously, leaving the gas knob partially turned on. A whole load of potent cooking gas had collected near the ceiling of the house (fortunately the ground floor was safe because we had left windows open for the dogs). As luck would have it, there was a power surge and a resulting spark in the electrical board at the top of the stairs. The intelligent smoke and heat ventilation system immediately kicked on and the burning gas (only a small amount of it I’m sure because the downstairs windows were open) escaped into the atmosphere. When we came home to an open (the slats are set in closed position when not on) and working ventilation system and tell tale soot marks on the ceiling and a partially open gas knob, we were able to put two and two together. When I eventually got over the shock of the situation, I swore never to argue with my husband again, especially when it came to safety issues

No comments:

Post a Comment